[b-hebrew] Excess consonants in the WLC Torah.

Christopher V. Kimball mail at cvkimball.com
Mon Jun 6 12:34:45 EDT 2005

Maqafs are not counted as consonants, but rather as accents, in my
statistics. Since there are 11,480 maqafs in the Torah (including both
qere and kethib variants) they are probably not the explanation.

Your idea that one might count the spaces is helpful. A note in the JPS
"Etz Hayim" Chumash, 2001 (p 770) says:

"...Levi Yitzhak of Berdichev connects the final total of 603,550
Israelites [v. 46] to a tradition that there are 603,550 letters in the
Torah. ...

in referring to Numbers 1:46. I can't get close to the 603,550 number
any way I count it, so I'm off by 50%.