[b-hebrew] Re: disambiguate question

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Jun 2 11:32:09 EDT 2005

On 02/06/2005 16:17, Uri Hurwitz wrote:

> */Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org>/* wrote:
>
>  and used the following wonderful word:
>
> "...... disambiguate....."
>
>   meaning, possibly," remove ambiguity from?"   I wonder when was it
> coined, and when is it used?

Sorry, this is perhaps a term from the computer era or perhaps from
linguistics, but you clearly understood it correctly. In fact its
definition in several dictionaries suggests an origin in linguistics:
"To establish a single grammatical or semantic interpretation for."

>   Surely there was a way of expressing this in BH, that is, somewhat
> before the computer era . How about a negation of  PSXYM  (L  $TY
> HS(PYM  in   I K  18:21.  Other possibilities?

Judges 12:6? No ambiguity allowed there! :-)

Seriously, I would imagine that there is a term in mediaeval Hebrew
grammar for distinguishing between the two pronunciations of qamats
and/or the two of sheva. But I don't know what it is.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/