Transliteration fonts, was: [b-hebrew] confirmation of subscription

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Jun 2 08:26:02 EDT 2005

On 02/06/2005 07:09, Emmanuel Gitlin wrote:

>This is to confirm my previous subscription.  In addition to the Hebrew script I am interested in a transliteration-from-Hebrew font if such is available by way of a simple cd-rom disk rather than a complex process, such as received a year of two ago from SIL after ardent requests and a financial contribution.

I am surprised at your suggestion that SIL requires a financial
contribution, except perhaps to cover the costs of putting on a CD and
mailing what is freely available on the Internet. See
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=EzraSIL_Home
for the latest Unicode-based SIL Hebrew fonts, and
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=SILEzra for
an older version which includes a transliteration font. No specific
transliteration font is required for the Unicode system as SIL's regular
Latin script Unicode font is suitable, see
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=DoulosSILfont.

However, I don't think you will find anywhere a font which allows you to
transliterate Hebrew simply by a font change. I'm not sure if that would
even be possible, for there is not a simple one-to-one correspondence
between Hebrew and Latin script. It might be possible to set up a basic
transliteration through the complexities of the OpenType font system,
but there is no way it could disambiguate varieties of qamats, sheva
etc. Anyway, this is not at all the right way to deal with this issue,
for transliteration is not just an adjusted display but a modified text.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/