[b-hebrew] Author of the torah

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Sun Jul 31 09:39:13 EDT 2005

Yitzhak wrote:
> c)why would the hebrews not object to a group of imposters
> fabricating the writings of their most important prophet
> centuries after his death?

I don't know what to tell you.  But you assume that the "Hebrews" diligently
copied and were all literate and familiar with the Torah for much of the ancient
times.  In fact, the two major holidays of the Jewish calendar - the Feast of
Tabernacles and the Feast of Unleavened Bread, were not observed for a great
many years.  See 2 Kings 23:21 and Nehemiah 8:13 - 18.  Both instances
also follow events where the Torah is made known to the people in some way,
apparently because they were not aware of it beforehand.  So now you ask
why they wouldn't object?  How would they object if they were not aware of
the contents of the Torah throughout most of the First Temple period and
when the Bible illustrates a situation where the Torah was forgotten again and
again?  However, I ask you to refrain from calling Ezra or Josiah or any other
Biblical personality an imposter.  That I may think they elaborated or
interpreted
the Torah text, part of it, or joined various earlier documents
together, does not
mean that they weren't divinely inspired to do so.  Your assumption that history
must have happened the way you think it was or else we are talking about
"imposters" and "fabrication" is unwarranted and even offensive.
end quote.

Ezra was certainly not an imposter and I would never dare to incur Yah's wrath
by suggesting such a thing. Without men like Ezra I wouldn't be able to read the
torah and I am thankful that he was such a faithful copyist. He is a link in a
chain which relates all readers and copiers of Yah's words directly back to Moshe'
himself. He faithfully carried out the work which was patterned for him by Yehoshua
and commanded by Moshe. But let us not forget exactly what he was, a copyist. Not a prophet or
a copyist given more than the usual authority but a normal copyist who loved Yah
and would not have dared to overstep the mark of his duties. In fact, were he here
today he would set you straight on a fair few matters and teach you the ways of the
true scholar 'Trust in Yahowah with all your heart and do not lean on your own
understanding' Proverbs3:5.

Regarding Yosiah. Another interesting case that cuts your reasoning down mercilessly.
He was born Mannaseh's rule. The whole nation was filled with every kind of pagan
ritual and divination and practices of magic. Yahowah's temple was desecrated and
being used as a place of worship for foreign gods and the priests were all a part
of it. Who do you think carried out the ritual sacrifices???
When Yosiah was king we read that Hilkiah accidently stumbled across Moshe's scroll
when taking some dosh up to the temple. It was likely the only copy around and had only
survived because of Yah's intervention so that Yosiah could restore pure worship to
the land after Mannaseh's death.

I would be interested in hearing your distorted theories for how the 'oral traditions'
managed to survive through this period in a pure enough state for Ezra to be able
to complete the torah for us.

Love and Shalom! Yitzhak
Pray and ponder on these things before making another off the cuff attack.

Security System.