[b-hebrew] Translating Ezekiel 16:26

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Sun Jul 31 08:14:32 EDT 2005

James, Gen 24:26, given below, does not necessarily involve a
euphemism for sex in English. "Brought her into his mother's tent"
can imply she became a member of his household and lived in the tent
that his mother used to live in. The fact that this phrase is
separated from "loved her" by the words "and she became his wife"
allow that these three clauses are narrative strokes about the change
in their lives.

>Yeah!
>I think ideals of decency have coloured translations in the past.
>Although it's quite clear that these things were not a great concern
>to the original authors.
>
>Translations of Isaac taking Rebekah into his tent and 'loving' her
>make me laugh.

Gen. 24:67 And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and
took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: and Isaac
was comforted after his mother's death.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard