[b-hebrew] Verbs, text-segmenting and clause-types

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Sat Jul 30 07:50:23 EDT 2005

Dear Peter,

It is fine that you ask about contradictions, so I get the opportunity to
clear up things in behalf of other list-members as well. Translation is
interpretation, so a translator will all the time make decisions without the
knowledge of the readers. In my view such decisions should be limited as
much as possible - and that is the advantage of a literal translation - and
footnotes should notify the readers of different possibilities.

One example of an ambiguous text is Psalm 22:17 K)RY YDY WRGLY, literally
"like the lion my hands and my feet". Many solutions to this ambiguity have
been tried:

NIV: "they have pierced my hands and my feet" ( LXX: "they have dug out my
hands and my feet")
JPS: "like lions they maul my hands and feet"
NAB: "so wasted are my hands and my feet"
NET: "like a lion they pin my hands and feet to the ground"
NJB: "a gang of villains closing in on me as if to hack off my hands and my
feet"
TEV: "they tear at my hands and my feet"
NWT: "like a lion /they are at/ my hands and my feet"

Poor readers!

I would say that the best solution here has NWT, which gives a literal
rendering but adds in brackets three words that make the text legibile. The
text is still ambigous, and the reader is allowed to do the interpretation.

The temporal references of verbs are more important than the meaning of
single words, so in most cases it is fine for the translators to make
decisions here. My view is that the temporal reference in *most* cases must
be decided by the translators, but in a very few cases  the translator may
decide to retain the ambiguity. Regarding words and clauses I think that the
ambiguousness to a greater degree should be retained, but again, that is
particularly possible in literal translations. And I fully understand that
translators who for the first time translate a part of the Bible into a
language take great care to make an unambigous text.  So the key for
clearing up the supposed contradiction is "quantity"

A fine test-case of temporal ambiguousness is Psalm 107.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo
In most instances the temporal references of verbs are clear