[b-hebrew] Author of the Torah

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Fri Jul 29 16:14:52 EDT 2005

On Jul 29, 2005, at 1:03 PM, Brian Roberts wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I would also suggest not placing too many
eggs in the "precursor text-type" basket, because, attractive as the
idea is, it is also inadmissible as scientific evidence because it is
demonstrably unfalsifiable. :)

Brian, I'll try to be appropriately circumspect with my precursor
text-type speculations. :)

But all the various text-types have to come from somewhere, and whatever
explanation we devise has got to account for the vast similarities as
well as the idiosyncratic differences. Falsifiable or not, it seems to
me that the theory of a common ancestor to the proto-MT, proto-LXX,
proto-Samaritan, etc. has more explanatory force than imagining lines of
parallel development that end up so much alike. Again, that is
simplified and "just me."

Chris

--
R. Christopher Heard