[b-hebrew] verbs

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Fri Jul 29 16:10:18 EDT 2005

Brother Rolf,

I agree with your example entirely and I am sure we are both aware of
other such abuses of word translation such as 'sheol'. I also agree
that consistent word translation protects the reader from the doctrinated
views which can be injected into translation with the excuse of context.

However, where I disagree is that a strictly literal translation almost
always produces difficult text and alienates the reader from the script,
which was evidently composed in easy to understand, everyday language and
this is a factor we should take on board if we are to produce helpful
translations.
The example you give you below is an example of misapplication of context
and serves to show how important the context is when choosing a translation.

See 'Unit of Translation' thread for more details.