[b-hebrew] Machine translation of the Bible, and a critique of Nida

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jul 29 15:42:27 EDT 2005

I happen to be reading, for reasons not originally related to this list
(I am preparing a posting for http://englishbibles.blogspot.com/), a
paper on Bible translation theory presented to SBL by David Weber,
http://www.und.nodak.edu/dept/linguistics/wp/2003Weber.PDF . (Warning:
this includes examples from the New Testament.)

This paper is relevant to James' hopes for machine translation. As he
realises, machine translation based on the code model does not work.
Relevance Theory, referred to be Weber, might be a useful framework.

It is also relevant to Rolf's criticisms of Nida's theory. Weber is also
critical of Nida, but his criticisms take him in a totally different
direction from Rolf's criticisms. While I don't entirely agree with
Weber, it seems to me that the direction in which he is moving is a far
more realistic one than Rolf's retreat towards literalism.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/