[b-hebrew] Machine translation of the Bible, was: heno- v's poly- theismin the torah

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Fri Jul 29 15:33:23 EDT 2005

Very good observation.
The software is still in phase of architecture. And as you can imagine this is the
most important stage.
The basic plan to address this issue is this.

a)Construct the base language of translation
b)Develop and test the software with all major living languages especially those
related to Hebrew
c)Match up common phrases in Hebrew with common phrases in living languages by
means of frequency and usage analysis algorithms

This is, of course an over simplification.
The most important factor is the base language. The major mistake in the past has
been to use English as the base language. This imposes many Anglicisms on translations
into other languages.
The philosophy behind the mechanisms is that the base language will be concepts and not
words in any modern language. The reason I have decided this is the way forward is
because of one simple observation: When children learn their first language they relate
new words to concepts and so a high level of fluency is achieved. When an adult learns
a second language they start by relating words to other words in their first language,
which are in turn related to concepts, which is the true basepoint of all languages,
whether verbal or visual or sensual (i.e. braille). The adult experiences problems with
communication not because the wrong concepts came to mind but because he has related the
words of the TL incorrectly to the concepts via the *corrupt* path of words in the FL.
After years of trial and error, the adult may or may not gain flunecy in the TL by eventually
relating the words of the TL *directly* to the concepts, which are the basepoint of all
expression and the only language that we all have in common.

I don't know if that was followable. I tried to keep it as simple as possible. Let
me know if there's something I didn't explain well.