[b-hebrew] Machine translation of the Bible, was: heno- v's poly- theismin the torah

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jul 29 15:10:50 EDT 2005

On 29/07/2005 19:01, C. Stirling Bartholomew wrote:

>On 7/29/05 9:54 AM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk at qaya.org> wrote:
>

>>After all, researchers have been working on machine translation between
>>major world languages for many decades, and the best results that they
>>can come up with are appalling.
>>

>The feds dumped gigabucks into this during the cold war. Some of the
>byproducts of this hopeless project were useful, e.g., frame theory,
>semantic networks ...

The European Union is still dumping gigaeuros into it. I'm sure there
will be useful byproducts of this as well, but I don't expect that to
include high quality translation - although the results between the core
European languages might be just about understandable. But then these
languages, and I exclude Finnish, Saami, Hungarian, Maltese and Basque,
are reasonably closely related and have had a lot of mutual interaction
over the centuries. Biblical Hebrew is much less close to modern
languages, with obvious exceptions like modern Hebrew, Arabic and Maltese.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/