[b-hebrew] Verbs, text-segmenting and clause-types

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Fri Jul 29 13:49:42 EDT 2005

Rolf Furuli wrote:

> I have acouple of questions:

I thought it was the job of everyone on the list to ask *you* questions!
  ;-)

> 1. Do you view the whole text as referring to the future, i.e. do you see
> each action as an action where reference time comes after the deictic
> center?

Interpretively, of course.  That is, it is prophetic.  But
linguistically, no.  The vision is "right there," "right in front of
them," so to speak.

I think, in both the translation and interpretation of Hebrew poetry,
not enough value is given to the text as a libretto.  I use the term
libretto loosely.  What I mean is that the style of a lot of Hebrew
poetry reflects an oral or performance tradition, perhaps as the
writers' unconscious preservation of a text's oral origin or as a
conscious attempt to honor the oral tradition.

I suspect many of these texts, Isaiah 52:13-53:12, were first performed
and later written.  It is often challenging to understand libretti in a
written-only medium.  They are stripped of tone of voice, facial
expression, gesture, musical or dramatic accompaniment, and all the
context that the performance arena can bring to a performance.  The
Slavic _guslar_ (bard) Halil Bajoric said of his story, "It has to be
said like that."  What he means is that the delivery of the song is
inseperable from its message. The _guslar's_ story is never only the
words; it is also the performance.

When it comes to Hebrew poetry, I think we need to explore the idea of
re-constructing the performance.  I think a text like the one we are
examining in Isaiah is begging us to reconstruct the performance by its
use of verb forms that are stringed together in a somewhat unusual way.

A skillful Hebrew _guslar_, as I believe the prophets and poets of the
Hebrews were, could deliver sections of our passage from Isaiah that use
a preponderance noun sentences and X-qatal clauses, such that he
describes a vision that is before him and his audience at the moment he
speaks but tells of things to come.  "hinneh!" he says to his audience.
  Do they see what he sees?  He will help them.

> 2. You imply that sentence initial YIQTOLs do not always express the
> sentiments of the speaker. If my understanding is correct, is there a way to
> know when it does and when it does not?

Actually, I would say that sentence-initial yiqtols rather reliably
express sentiments of the speaker.  It is the X-yiqtols that are
ambiguous.  If you would like to hear some ways to eliminate the
ambiguity with X-yiqtols, I will do it in another post.

Sometimes in Hebrew poetry, an element in a sentence has elided.  (The
elided element may be found in the parallel clause.)  As a result, a
yiqtol form may surface as the first word in its clause when notionally
it is actually preceded by an (elided) element.  In other words, even
though such a yiqtol appears to be first in its clause, it is not.

Shalom,
Bryan Rocine

ÐÏࡱá