[b-hebrew] heno- v's poly- theismin the torah

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Fri Jul 29 11:39:19 EDT 2005

You are of course correct here. But I try to avoid their use
because I usually have to speak to normal people and I don't
want to alienate them by using these kind of terms which are
almost a foreign language to them.

The best translator I have ever met is my wife who speaks 6
languages fluently. If you put her in a village, she almost
immediately absorbs the local dialect and starts to speak
just like the locals without even realising she's doing it.
She uses idioma correctly and naturally without a second
thought to what she is saying but just goes by instinct of
the way she has heard them used in context.

It is interesting to note that my wife has no idea of grammatical
concepts and if you try to explain to her what an adjective
is she clasps her hands on her head with the pain it causes
her to get her head around such a concept.
The greatest language learners are babies and it undeniable
that babies do not learn languages grammatically but they
induce the meaning of combinations of sounds (phonemes) by
intelligently analysing the context of the situation.
In fact, I firmly believe that grammar is more of a hindrance
than a help to learning a language and I intend to demonstrate
this with my AI project.
The purpose of my project is to develop algorithms which analyse
any input of language. The alphabet it will use will be based
on phonemes and not the inadequate arrays of alphabets that
modern languages use.
The algorithms will completely avoid grammar and rely entirely
on examples and contexts to learn the meanings of words (a word
is a series of sounds/phonemes and may not necessarily agree with
the classical division of words we are accustomed to).
It is my aim that this tool will produce a translation of the
hebrew bible, which is completely devoid of doctrinal influences,
as a demonstration that the natural way of learning languages
is the superior one. It's a big project and the algorithms have
many challenges but I am benefitting from the thoughts posted
in the various threads.