[b-hebrew] Translation WAS: Re: VERBS

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jul 29 06:23:30 EDT 2005

On 29/07/2005 05:54, Bearpecs at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 7/28/2005 10:21:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>peterkirk at qaya.org writes:
>
>At the  very least it is wrong to say that any unclear or unnatural
>translation  "must not be avoided", which seems to be a suggestion that
>clarity and  naturalness in translation are invalid as criteria and must
>not be taken  into account in translation.
>

>I can't speak for Newmark, but I think that while naturalness is a valid
>criterion, it is not as much a priority as conveying as much as possible of the
>sense of the original.  The same goes for clarity, ...

Hayyim, I understand that different people put different priorities on
clarity and naturalness. And that is appropriate as the strength of this
requirement depends on the target audience. But Newmark seems to suggest
that it is illegitimate even to take these into account. I disagree.

For a good defence of the need for clarity, accuracy and naturalness in
Bible translation (including a New Testament focus), see
http://www.ibs.org/niv/munger/index.php.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/