[b-hebrew] Translation WAS: Re: VERBS

Bearpecs at aol.com Bearpecs at aol.com
Fri Jul 29 00:54:27 EDT 2005

In a message dated 7/28/2005 10:21:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
peterkirk at qaya.org writes:

At the  very least it is wrong to say that any unclear or unnatural
translation  "must not be avoided", which seems to be a suggestion that
clarity and  naturalness in translation are invalid as criteria and must
not be taken  into account in translation.

I can't speak for Newmark, but I think that while naturalness is a valid
criterion, it is not as much a priority as conveying as much as possible of the
sense of the original.  The same goes for clarity, if by clarity  you mean
that it is easily understood by reading it through once.
A good example is the Fox translation, which has been criticized for being
unnatural English, but I think it does an excellent job at conveying the
original, and that is more important to me than the naturalness of his  English.
(I personally happen to like how he uses English.)

I wonder if people here think that modern Jewish translations tend to be
more literal than modern Christian translations.  I suspect that Jewish
translators, whether consciously or not, consider that one role of the  translation is
to lead the reader back to the Hebrew.  Culturally, I think  we tend to
believe that *really* understanding Jewish texts means understanding  them in
Hebrew, and a translation is just a waystation on the road to the real  thing.

Hayyim Obadyah
, MPA
New York, New  York 10027