[b-hebrew] etymology opinion question for the list

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Thu Jul 28 20:43:01 EDT 2005

Agreed.  I often get questions via my web page from people who are wrestling
with this question of "How should I pronounce it?" because some folks on the
web are making a big deal of it.  I make a habit of pointing out that the
name "John" in English is Johann in German, Jean in French, Juan in Spanish,
Ivan in Russian, and so on.  An excellent example comes from one of Tom
Clancy's books, in which the Soviet premier (that certainly dates the book!)
is reflecting on Jack Ryan, the main character.  He notes, in his thoughts,
that "Jack" is a slang for "John," which in Russian is Ivan.  Russian names
don't use a middle name but a patronymic; Ryan's father was named Emmet, so
his patronymic would be Emmetovich.  Out loud, he calls Jack "Ivan
Emmetovich."  Ryan is flattered that the premier respects him enough to
render his name into his own language this way.

I usually conclude by telling the questioner this: how you pronounce the name
really isn't important.  What matters is the person referred to.  Someone can
call me David, Dave, Dah-VEED in several languages, or "hey you, the
funny-looking one" and if I know they're speaking of me, I'll reply.  Names
are most always a special case.

On Thursday 28 July 2005 18:26, Kevin Riley wrote:
>  Names are often treated differently.  Usually they are simply
> transliterated with any adjustments for inflectional endings being made.  I
> don't think they are usually translated in the sense of retaining the
> original meaning.  Even in the original language the meaning of a name may
> not be prominent - many English speakers see no real meaning in names, even
> those that do obviuosly have meanings like, Grace, Charity, Miller, Baker,
> etc.
>
> Kevin Riley

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"Well, if I'd wanted a safe life, I guess I wouldn't have
married a man who studies rocks." - Betty Armstrong (Fay Masterson)