[b-hebrew] VERBS

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Thu Jul 28 18:18:17 EDT 2005

Dear Peter,

We all naturally defend our own viewpoints. But it is fine if we are open
for the possibility that even fundamental concepts can be interpreted
differently from our own view.  You have a background in the natural
sciences, and then you started with Bible translation. You were introduced
to one model, and you may perhaps today subscribe to a model different, or
slightly different from the one you were introduced to.

Peter Newmark has worked with different models, and in his book he has a
lucid discussion of several different models. His general conclusion is that
the pendulum has svung too far when translators have discarded the word as
an important translation unit. Newmark does not suggest that a word-for-word
translation is the best model, but he shows there are methodological
problems with the models of Nida (and Taber) and models which seem to be
similar to those you cherish.

Newmark writes p. 68):

"The present excessive emphasis in linguistics on discourse analysis is
resulting in the corresponding idea in translation theory that the only unit
of translation is the text, and that almost any deviation from literal
translation can be justified in any place by appealing to the text as an
overriding authority. the prevailing orthodoxy is leading to the rejection
of literal translation as a legitimate translation procedure."

Newmark then translates a French text of 75 words into English, where the
text has 68 words, and writes: "I do not think the French translation could
be improved on, although one or two variants in the `taste` area are always
available. But about 90% of the three sentences are literally translated -
which perhaps is exceptional, but not so surprising in this type of text.
My thesis, however, is that literal translation is correct and must not be
avoided, if it secures referential and pragmatic equivalence of the
original."

As mentioned, Newmark does not say that a word-for-word translation is the
best form of translation. But he says that a literal translation is a fine
translation provided it meets particular criteria. And he says further that
to abandon the word as the translation unit is a misunderstanding. You may
disagree with his conclusions, but by saying that this is "nonsense" you
elevate yourself as the highest translation authority. This does not
recommend you as a balanced scholar.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo