[b-hebrew] etymology opinion question for the list

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Jul 28 17:34:44 EDT 2005

Dear Gene,

>I have an eytmology opinion question for the list
>members. When one language is transliterated into
>another language, or through three or four languages,
>does the final word still retain the meaning of the
>original word?

It depends what you mean by transliteration, but I have heard the
term used of the English word "baptize." The English word is not
really a translation ("dip, immerse") but just the transferral of
sound and letters from the Greek alphabet into English equivalents.
In this case the English word clearly has developed a slightly
different and more limited range of meaning than the Greek word
originally had.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard