[b-hebrew] etymology opinion question for the list

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Thu Jul 28 17:24:50 EDT 2005

Do you mean translated or transliterated?  Transliteration doesn't
change anything.  Transliteration is simply the substitution of one
letter for another.  It means taking the Hebrew letter gimel, for
instance, and putting in its place a "g".

Translation, on the other hand, is taking a word from one language and
then using the equivalent word in another language for it.  In Hebrew we
find the word "shalom" (note- thats a transliteration for shin lamed waw
mem).  In Hebrew it means- shalom.  In English it is usually translated
"peace" or "wholeness" or some such thing.  If you take "peace" and
translate it into Danish you get "fred" or- "fredlig" (for peaceful).
If you take "shalom" and translate it into Danish you would have "fred".

But none of this has anything to do with etymology.  Etymology is what
words originally meant and where they come from.

I hope this helps a bit.

Jim

--
D. Jim West