[b-hebrew] END OF THREAD: Re: PS Re: Fwd: Re: YHWH

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Jul 28 08:41:48 EDT 2005

On 27/07/2005 09:09, George Athas wrote:

>Dear Members,
>
>This thread has clearly gone beyond the bounds of decorum, and therefore has no place on this forum. I urge everyone involved in this thread to desist from any further comment on this matter . At B-Hebrew we welcome people of all backgrounds and beliefs and discussions on the list must not include attack of anyone's personal faith. If members persist with such attacks, the chair staff will be forced to take action against them.
>
>I urge your co-operation in this matter.

A couple of point here.

Firstly, this message actually arrived at the list Thu, 28 Jul 2005
02:18:44 -0400, i.e. nearly 24 hours after it was apparently sent (as
dated above, UK time). During those 24 hours a large number of messages
were sent on this thread and others. And when it did arrive, it
disappeared (at least on my screen) above those which had been sent
after it but received before it, and so I read it only when I discovered
an anomalous hidden unread message. So, George, please don't blame
anyone for not following instructions which they had not received.

Secondly, while I quite agree that some of the sub-threads concerning
YHWH and its pronunciation have "gone beyond the bounds of decorum",
other parts have continued in a proper or scholarly manner. I assume
that your note was intended to refer only to the sub-thread of the
disagreement between Shoshanna and Jim, to which others have
contributed. If you intend to put a halt to all discussion of the
pronunciation of YHWH, you need to make this more clear.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/