[b-hebrew] dating of matres lectionis

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Wed Jul 27 12:51:45 EDT 2005

Dear Bearpecs,

Please sign your posts with your whole real name.  Such is the standard
of b-hebrew, avaliable at http://www.ibiblio.org/bhebrew/.

I am not an avid reader about the Mesha Stele, but according to the
Anchor Bible Dictionary, the consensus is that the language of the stele
is NW Semitic albeit with 3rd person suffixes of Aramaic.  It certainly
reads like Hebrew to me.

I wonder if SL Gogel, A Grammar of Epigraphic Hebrew,
SBLRBS 23 (Atlanta: Scholars, 1998) comments on the Mesha Stele.

Shalom,
Bryan Rocine
b-hebrew co-chair