[b-hebrew] VERBS

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Wed Jul 27 10:06:27 EDT 2005

Dear Ken,

Your thoughts below are interesting, and I agree that a few counter-examples
do not necessarily invalidate a particular meaning. I state this explicitly
in my
dissertation, but I qualify the statement by saying that such
counter-examples should be explained. For example, we have hypothetical
conditional sentences and other special cases. When we look at the English
verbal system, we see that present verbs with future and past reference are
normal, and therefore I conclude that English present is not a tense.
However, when verbs with past tense are used in non-past contexts, we see
that they are special cases; i.e. their "unnormal" use can be explained (see
B. Comrie "Tense" (1985) p. 20.) The same is true with future forms.

The only candidate for a tense interpretation in classical Hebrew is
WAYYIQTOL. However, most of the 997 examples of WAYYIQTOLs with non-past
reference are not special cases. And even though they are few (6.9% of all
WAYYIQTOLs), their number is statistically significant, and therefore they
militate against a tense interpretation.  Moreover, you will see from my
chapter on YIQTOL that of the 1,027 examples of YIQTOL with past reference,
896 are preceded by a word element. And it is argued that in most of these
examples, if this preceding element were removed, the YIQTOLs would have
become WAYYIQTOLs. So the WAYY-element simply is the normal conjunctive
element when a verb YIQTOL is sentence initial.
The conclusion is that the WAYYIQTOLs with non-past referene and the YIQTOLs
with past reference, cannot be viewed as "a few" counter-examples; their
numbers are significant.

I am not sure what you mean by "core meaning" in connection with tenses, so
could you please explain that?