[b-hebrew] dating of matres lectionis

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Wed Jul 27 10:02:17 EDT 2005

Uri, I find it interesting that on the Mesha Stele, the final he is not
only used for the 3. m. s. pronominal suffix, but also the 3. f. s., as
in line 8 bah.  According to contemporary Hebrew phonics such a word
would be pronounced with an aspirated /h/, that is /bah/ with a
"breathy" h.  Let's assume the two pronominal suffixes, though written
identically, were pronounced differently.  If so, I think the existence
of different pronunciations for a final he is an expression of matres
lexionis.

Shalom,
Bryan