[b-hebrew] dating of matres lectionis

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 09:46:21 EDT 2005

  Brian,

  The  letter "He" as a pronominal suffix, not only in the examples you cite bellow but also for instance in in A&TR$TH in the Kunt. El- Ajrud may well have been a  vocalized consonant,   --"  ...tahu", as the cited  above .  In classical  Arabic this is the case to the present.  Interestingly, like in most cases in BH, this contracts to a syllable in the colloqiual dialects.

  Uri

"B. M. Rocine" <brocine at twcny.rr.com> wrote:

Hi Yitzak,

Will you count the 3. m. s. pronominal suffixes as final he maters?
There are many of them that are pronounced /o/: (line 6) vayyahlephoh,
benoh, (7) boh, ubetoh, (8) moh, beyamoh, etc.

I admit, when we pronounce such final he's as /o/, we may be using
anachronistic pronunciation rules. IOW, they may have been consonants
as, I think, Joel Hoffman mentioned as a general possibility for
epigraphic Hebrew ("Moabite").

Shalom,
Bryan