[b-hebrew] YHWH

Bearpecs at aol.com Bearpecs at aol.com
Tue Jul 26 23:53:39 EDT 2005

In a message dated 7/26/2005 7:16:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jwest at highland.net writes:

I think  it terribly misleading to suggest that ancient Hebrews or
Canaanites  walking around the land would have thought they were talking
about the  same gods when they called them by their different names.  In
fact,  it is eisegesis at its worst.

I think it is unwarranted to suggest that they didn't know that Ba`al of
Tsafon was the same god as Ba`al of Pe`or; just as Catholics know that their
Lady of Lourdes is the same as their Lady of Guadalupe.  We are arrogant if  we
assume that they just couldn't be as sophisticated as we in conceptualizing
the divine.