[b-hebrew] YHWH

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Tue Jul 26 19:16:18 EDT 2005

Not so- the "names of God" found in the Hebrew Bible are not,
originally, aspects of the one god.  They are individual, local deities
whose names were absorbed (baptised, if you will) by Jewish and
Christian tradition into the One God's many names.

Of course Yahweh and Elohim were not interchangeable- nor were El Elyon
and El Shaddai and El and all the other local deity names taken over by
the Israelite tradition.  They were discrete, separate, not to be
confused local overlords.  That's why there was an El and a Baal for
each little town and village.  And they were named accordingly.

I think it terribly misleading to suggest that ancient Hebrews or
Canaanites walking around the land would have thought they were talking
about the same gods when they called them by their different names.  In
fact, it is eisegesis at its worst.

Jim

--
D. Jim West