[b-hebrew] dating of matres lectionis

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Jul 26 11:37:00 EDT 2005

On 26/07/2005 16:20, Shoshanna Walker wrote:

>OK, so now I'm just bothering you with silly questions - what is  "a
>mater lectionis"?

Basically, it is a Hebrew letter which represents a vowel, rather than a
consonant, in an unpointed text. The name means "mother of reading", and
there is an equivalent Hebrew term which I forget. The letters used as
matres lectionis are yod representing an "i" or "e" vowel, vav for "u"
or "o"; also he for "e", "a" or "o" but only at the end of a word. In
post-biblical Hebrew alef is also used for "a".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/