[b-hebrew] VERBS

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Jul 26 10:13:48 EDT 2005

On 26/07/2005 14:50, Read, James C wrote:

> To be fair Peter, while your reasoning does make sense in other respects
> of what you have said, Rolf has made it quite clear that his studies
> parted
> with no preconceived ideas or assumptions and reached his conclusions
> through purely linguistic (although, heavily grammatical) methods. I tend
> to believe him and this is obviously a subject that he has put much
> thought
> into and worked on for a very long time.

Well, I am not quite sure when Rolf considers that he started these
studies. It certainly was a long time ago. But already on 4th September
1998, the first individual post I have from him (I was receiving digests
from July 1997 which are not so easy to search), he wrote to this list:

> I claim that
> imperfectivity and perfectivity are connected with the verb form and not
> with the context: all wayyiqtols and yiqtols are imperfective and all
> qatals and weqatals are perfective.

But this was certainly before he completed his study of all of the verb
forms in the Bible. Therefore he came to that study, or at least
completed and drew conclusions from it, with this preconceived idea of
the Hebrew verb system, which is effectively the same as the two form
model which he now presents as the result of his studies.

I am copying this to the list on the assumption that, because you
addressed Rolf elsewhere in the message, you intended your message to go
to the list.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/