[b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Jul 26 07:05:28 EDT 2005

On 26/07/2005 03:13, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

>... In any case, I have consistently argued for a
>"qamats" under the y of yhwh, but you have downgraded it to a patah and then
>apparently argued that it could have been a schwa that was mistaken by
>Babylonians
>for a patah.  You have also seemed to compared "Jehu"' to names beginning with
>schwa despite the fact that Jehu has a tsere - a long vowel generally
>transliterated as
>"ae" and schwa is very very short.

To be fair to Rolf, I think it was me, not him, who brought in the name
Jehu. But I wonder if we can rule out all of the Jeho- names, with sheva
in MT, as being reduced forms of an original with tsere, rather than
with the qamats you prefer.

Also it was not Rolf who suggested patah under the yod, for this is
Gesenius' explicit Hebrew spelling of his Yahwe. But I suppose that we
cannot be sure whether the first vowel was patah or qamats - a
distinction which is anyway anachronistic because it was made by the
Masoretes for whom the Name probably had no pronunciation.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/