[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Jul 26 06:55:56 EDT 2005

On 26/07/2005 03:26, Shai Heijmans wrote:

>Hi Dave and Peter,
>
>Here are a few examples: "ana men yomoy la [kawwanet]", literally: "I,
>in *my* days, did not intend" (= I did never intend), Taylor-Schecter
>F17.6, the fragment was published in Ginzburg's "Sridei Hayerushalmi",
>page 10 line 2; "wela etkena men qomoy" = "he did not bend down before
>*me*", Kilayim (Leiden ms.), chapter 9, fol. 32b; "regloy"  = "my feet",
>Ketubbot chapter 12, fol. 64b, "enoy" = "my eyes", ibid., fol. 66a.

Thank you, Shai. But are these from pointed texts, or transcriptions in
languages which have vowels, or are the vowels reconstructed by the editors?

It is interesting that in at least three of these four examples the
suffixed noun is plural: days, feet, eyes. So it seems that this -oy
ending is the combination of a noun plural and a first person singular
possessive suffix, cf. -ay in Hebrew. But of course the Aramaic word for
God is not plural, so this -oy suffix would not apply. The Hebrew word
is usually plural, so the suffix would be -ay - or simply -iy if the
underlying word is the singular Eloah.

I continue to hold that Greek -WI is highly unlikely to represent a
final diphthong -oy, but much more probably two separate syllables -o-i
or perhaps o-ay.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/