[b-hebrew] YHWH discussion recap

Schmuel schmuel at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jul 26 03:46:13 EDT 2005

Hi b-hebrew,

>Schmuel wrote:
>>     For consideration, probably just a decade or two ago, the "Yahweh" usage would have
>>likely been the almost-overwhelming consensus on a scholarly forum, and we have also in
>>the last decades seen it make its way into various translations, from the catholic Jerusalem
>>Bible to the Everett Fox translation to others.

John W. Leys
>Everette Fox doesn't use "Yahweh" in his translation, he avoids the
>issue by transliterating the consonants of the Name as "YHWH"

Oops.  Thanks for the correction :-)

Apparently the World English Bible would be the only other significant one to the Jerusalem,
(along with the "qodesh name" editions, where the names have sine qua non status.)

Fox, Alter, and the eventual James Tabor translations all seem to do similar.

Shalom,
Steven Avery