[b-hebrew] YHWH - yahu

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Jul 25 00:27:54 EDT 2005

Hadad is the NW Semitic storm god, pronounced Adad in Assyria. He became the dynastic diety of Aram Damascus, and is part of the names of several Aramean kings, such as Ben-hadad, Bir-hadad, Hadadezer, and the Assyrian Shamshi-adad and Adad-nirari.
Shamash is the sun god (like the noun shemesh in Hebrew). He appears in Phoenician and Aramean inscriptions.
Sin is the Sumerian/Akkadian moon god, worshipped especially at Ur and at Harran. His name is inclided in those of Sargon the Great's grandson, Naram-sin, and the Samarian leader Sin-ubalit ("Sanbalat").

Yigal