[b-hebrew] yhwh & the Massoretes

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Sun Jul 24 20:12:43 EDT 2005

During my studies of Hebrew, it was very common for my professors
to make very authoritve comments that usually began 'The massoretes...'.
One of such comments was the massoretes intention for the written
'yhwh' and the spoken 'my lord'.
However, I have to admit that it has never been directly demonstrated
to me that this was unquestionably their desire. Why are we so sure
of this? Did the Massoretes write it for us?

Again, I have no opinion in this regard. It is just a question
I have always had but have never received an answer.

Security System.