[b-hebrew] YHWH discussion recap

Gene Gardner g_gardner1234 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 24 12:09:47 EDT 2005

I would like to recap some of the points that have
been made during this discussion. If any of my
perceptions are in error, I welcome your correction.

1)If we read the tetragrammaton as written with the
vowel points found in the Masoretic texts (Aleppo,
Leningrad), some of the variables would be:

YeHWaH, YeHWiH, YeHoWiH, YeHoWaH

2)Yah is a valid name represented throughout the
Psalms, but not necessarily related to the
pronunciation “YaHWeH”.

3)The cantillation marks in Psalm 96:10 does represent
a tri-sylabic cantoring of YHWH, or possibly Adonay.
This would need to be verified in the Massorah.

4)There is no vowel pointing found in the Masoretic
texts that would allow YHWH to be pronounced as
“YaHWeH.”

5)That the pronunciation “YaHWeH”, is a scholarly
re-construction based on early Greek writings.

6)That the nineteen or so tri-sylabic names found in
the Hebrew Scriptures that have the theophoric element
“Yeho”, which are pointed the same as YHWH as found in
the Masoretic texts, may or may not have any relation
to the pronunciation of YHWH.