[b-hebrew] IaBe = YHWH or IaBe = Jove?

John W. Leys eliyahu5733 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 09:52:09 EDT 2005

Vadim Cherny wrote:

>Besides YHWH - Jove, there is Zvaoth - Zeus parallel. Too much for a
>coincidence. Since YHWH and Zvaoth are meaningful in Hebrew, the direction
>of borrowing is certain.

Are you implying that "Zeus" isn't meaningful? My Greek and Latin are a
bit rusty, but isn't it commonly held that Ζευζ (Zeus) is related to the
Latin 'deus' and that both likely come from a common Indo-European root.
And besides a similar--not identical--initial consonant sound, which is
made to look more similar than it is by the choice of transliterating
tsade as 'zv,'  I don't see much of a similarity between 'tsvoath' and
'Zeus.'

Am I missing something?

--
Shalom!
John W. Leys

"Wonder rather than doubt is the root of all knowledge"
	- Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel