[b-hebrew] Questions about YHWH (long)

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Sun Jul 24 07:54:13 EDT 2005

Dear Kieron,

The word PIPI is probably a "graphic" transcription, so to speak.  In square Aramaic script the tetragram may resemble the the Greek letters pipi.  It is interesting that in the marigin of Syriac manuscripts of the  Syro-Hexapla we find PIPI and HEHE (and occasionally YHWH) in Syrian letters.  This could suggest that som Greek manuscripts used as Vorlage had tetragrams in Aramaic script (PIPI) and others had tetragrams in Old Hebrew script (HEHE).

I do not have the texts of Aquila, Symmachus, and Theodotion where I am at present, but I remember that Theodotion translated EHYE with Greek future.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo
  -----