[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Sat Jul 23 11:08:10 EDT 2005

Dear George,

>  > HH: No, I'm not, because they have to get their facts straight. So
>  > they have to go to reputable authorities in matters like this.
>
>Surely you jest!  Have you read any newspapers lately?  I would about as
>soon consult a ouiji board.

HH: It is the editorial policy at good news outlets (like CBS) to
check facts. That is why people resign or get fired or transferred
when it is discovered that they make serious errors of fact. I grant
you this topic would probably not rise to that level in their view,
but the Associated Press and CBS sources I cited had apparently
consulted with experts. Secular sources do not make up such "facts."
Some of the people mentioned by CBS include:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/02/22/entertainment/main601558.shtml

"Undoubtedly, Aramaic is in danger of disappearing," said Moshe
Bar-Asher, president of the Academy of the Hebrew Language in
Jerusalem.

Michael Sokoloff, a professor of Hebrew and Semitic languages at
Bar-Ilan University near Tel Aviv, said it is believed that parts of
the Gospels were originally written in Aramaic, but only Greek
writings have been found.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard