[b-hebrew] IaBe = YHWH or IaBe = Jove?

David P Donnelly davedonnelly1 at juno.com
Sat Jul 23 10:39:25 EDT 2005

Peter Kirk asks:

What is your evidence that the name Jove was ever pronounced with an
"a"  vowel?
This is certainly not regular pronunciation of Latin "o".

Peter,
My evidence is found in anti-Yahweh articles so it may be suspect.
http://www.yahushua.net/YHWH.htm
At the link above it says:

So what about the pronunciation Yahweh?
In our search for truth, we do not want to leave any stone unturned.
The following information is something that needs to be prayerfully
considered.
In Roman mythology, the idol "Jupiter" is the same as the idol "Zeus" in
Greek mythology.
According to Latin grammar, Jove is the ablative case of Jupiter.
In Classical Latin, the pronunciation of Jove (Iove) is Y-A-W-E,
with the “j” (i) sounding like a “y”,
the “o” being a short sound [like the “o” in “Bob”]
the “v” sounds like a “w”,
and the “e” sounds like “eh”.

*****************
http://www.yahushua.net/latin_pronunciation.htm
The above site claims to give Latin Pronunciation from the first century.
It lists short “o” as in “Rob”
I may be trying to force an “aw” pronunciation for “o”
by reasoning that Raw with a “b” added to it sounds like “Rob”
And in Joshua I may be trying to force “J + “awe”+ shua to sound like
“Joshua”
So I end up with “o” sounding like “aw” or “awe”
And when I place that pronunciation [I.e. “awe“] in “Jove” I get “J” +
“Awe” + veh.
http://www.pastorjohnshouse.com/broad/yahweh.htm
At the above link it says:

Now, consider carefully these facts about Latin grammar:
First, just as in Hebrew, Latin has neither the English "J" nor "V"
sound.
Latin "J" is pronounced as the English "Y",
and the Latin "V" is pronounced as an English "W".
Secondly, there is no silent "E" in Latin.
If a Latin word ends with an "E", it is pronounced as a short "eh" sound.

Thirdly, as anyone learns in the first few days of studying the Latin
language,
a short "O" sound (such as in the Latin word Jove) is difficult to spell
out,
but is somewhat like "AH".
This means that if we pronounce Jove according to the rules of Latin
grammar
which we are taught,
if we pronounce Jove as an ancient Roman would have done,
Jove would be pronounced very nearly,
if not exactly as the modern Christian name for their god: Yahweh.
Can anyone honestly believe that this is a coincidence?

What do you think Peter?

Are  these above three sites telling the truth?

Dave Donnelly