[b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Jul 23 08:44:12 EDT 2005

On 23/07/2005 12:25, B. M. Rocine wrote:

>Hi Peter,
>
>The Mesha stele, in line 18, has the Tetragrammaton (all four letters).
>  Did Rolf respond to your request below?  I didn't see a response.

Thank you, Bryan. No, I haven't had another reply to this. But does the
Mesha stele use other final he matres lectionis? If so, this is no
indication that the final he was not a mater lectionis. If not, it is in
fact quite powerful evidence against the standard understanding of YHWH
as derived from the root HWH, as in forms of such "lamed-he" verbs the
final he is always a mater lectionis.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/