[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Jul 23 08:40:28 EDT 2005

On 23/07/2005 07:06, Dave Washburn wrote:

>On Friday 22 July 2005 18:57, Peter Kirk wrote:
>

>>On 22/07/2005 19:22, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:
>>

>>>... The Aramaic behind Matthew is
>>>êlî êlî lmâ ”vaqtanî. Whereas Mark has elohî
>>>elohî.
>>>

>>The former is Aramaic, but the latter is surely Hebrew. The Aramaic, if
>>not êlî, might be elahî, but not elohî.
>>

>[snip]
>
>Not necessarily.  ... It is also likely, as
>I have said before, that Jesus' words were rather slurred, considering his
>physical condition by the time he reached this point. ...

Fair enough, Jesus could have said something rather slurred which can be
understood as either Aramaic or Hebrew. The position I object to is the
one which claimes that ELWI is Aramaic but not Hebrew. Perhaps it could
be either, but it certainly could be Hebrew.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/