[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Sat Jul 23 07:24:35 EDT 2005

Martin:

It is my impression that the original Hebrew was pronounced
with every syllable consisting of a consonant followed by a
vowel, even at the ends of words. What that vowel was,
"modern" pointing no longer shows. I suspect that all nouns
may have ended with a -a or -e, names possibly -u. Thus the
original word spelled as aleph beth (alepa beta) would have
been given the pronunciation of aba. But by the time of Jesus,
only a handful of the most common words still retained their
original pronunciation, such as father.

Does not the final aleph in Aramaic refer to the definite
article? If so, then abba would mean "the father" which sounds
awfully formal.

Karl W. Randolph.