[b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jul 22 21:10:16 EDT 2005

On 22/07/2005 17:44, Alexander Oldernes wrote:

>When I see name Jehudah, YHWDH, I see that the difference from the
>tetragrammaton is the Daleth.
>If I remove the Daleth from YeHUDaH, and keep the vowel "a", I get YeHUaH /
>YeHUWaH.
>
>...my personal logic tells me that the pronunciation may not be very
>different from Jehudah.

The problem with your personal logic is that you can't simply leave a
consonant out of a Hebrew word and expect the surrounding vowels to be
unaffected.

>( One interesting detail is the 3rd person masculine HaWaH in Ecclesiastes
>11:3, which is pronounced YeHU[a] )

This is an odd form. But it does not finish with an "a" vowel, but with
an alef which was a glottal stop - although perhaps silent at the end of
a word here. And it has nothing to do with the divine name.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/