[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jul 22 20:57:29 EDT 2005

On 22/07/2005 19:22, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

>... The Aramaic behind Matthew is
>êlî êlî lmâ ”vaqtanî. Whereas Mark has elohî
>elohî.

The former is Aramaic, but the latter is surely Hebrew. The Aramaic, if
not êlî, might be elahî, but not elohî. So I think the author you quote
here is simply confused. And, although it would be unusual, I will have
to assume that the NET Bible editors and the guy from Emory were
similarly confused - at least unless they can offer more than a bare
assertion of what seems on the face of it to be an obvious untruth. Of
course their common confusion is not coincidental, as sadly one untruth
can very easily be copied from person to person in this field with no
one bothering to think about the truth of the matter.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/