[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Fri Jul 22 20:34:21 EDT 2005

Very good system of reasoning. It is clear that the composer decided
to translate abba in this way. But is also clear that it was normal
to address your parent as 'pater'. I don't know anyone who says 'Hi
Father how are you doing today?'. While it is clear that the level
of formality wouldn't allow for a translation of 'daddy', which only
tends to be used by chidren, a translation of dad seems viable.
I used to think that literal translations were the best. But then
when I learned some modern languages and spent some time in other
countries I learned that it was far more important to translate the
situation and the customary way of speaking rather than the
individual words themselves. The dominance of the term Dad in the
English language over its counterpart Father gives a strong argument
for translating 'ab' as Dad. Saying that Abraham was 'Isaac's Dad' seems
to be much more natural language than the traditional 'Father of Isaac'.
If I went around saying things like 'the father of my friend' instead of
'my mate's Dad' it would be considered an awfully strange way of speaking.