[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Martin Shields enkidu at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 22 20:20:44 EDT 2005

ISTM that the only information available is what is written in the
text: that Jesus said "Abba" and that the author of the gospel felt
that ho pater was the appropriate Greek translation for the term.
Given that the Greek is relatively formal and that there were
"informal" alternatives, it seems reasonable to infer that "Abba" was
used more formally than informally, and thus that "dad" or even
"daddy" are not appropriate English translations of the term.

Thanks to Vince Medina, however, for pointing out Barr's article. I
will endeavour to read it.

As for the Hebrew/Aramaic issue, my immediate impression is that the
Greek Abba (αββα) would represent Aramaic אבא. What Hebrew
could Abba represent?

Martin Shields,
Sydney, Australia.