[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Fri Jul 22 20:06:17 EDT 2005

I don't have much time - candle lighting is in a few minutes.

There are several names of G-d, they are used throughout the Torah
and in our prayer books and blessings, and they refer to different
aspects of G-d - it is not accidental why one is used here and
another one is used there, etc.

Yod Heh (what you say "Yah") is one of them

The Kabbalists know many many others, they are figured out by
permutation of letters.

The reason I write G-d with a dash in the middle, is out of habit,
from what I was taught since I could first write, we OBVIOUSLY know
that G_D (there - I INTENDED to write it with the "O" in the middle,
but my fingers just didn't do it - I am a speed typist) is not G-d's
name, but, out of respect, we do it this way, TO REMIND US that G-d's
name(s) are sacred and not to be used in casual conversation

There is no FEAR involved  here.

And it is NOT superstition

G-d's names are not lost, they are used in prayer, and when reading
the Torah on specified times, Shabbat, festivals, etc., and the NAME
OF NAMES is also not lost, but is known/will be known, when the
proper time arises to say it.

(When we read the Torah or pray, we pronounce that name as "adonay"
Some day, the right person will pronounce it correctly)

Shabbat Shalom, lighting candles right now

Shoshanna

Are you saying that Yah has more than 1 name? Do you know the
original pronunciation? I notice that you write 'G-d' instead of
'God'. Is this out of fear of taking his name in vain? I'm
only asking because recently someone in another forum brought
such a practice to my attention and it brought to mind the
original superstition which caused the pronunciation of
such a beautiful name to be lost in the first place.
Do you believe Yah intended for his name to be lost? If so, do
you think he intends to make it known once more in the future or
would we be better just forgetting the matter all together?

I am very interested to hear your feelings on this matter because
it may help me to understand why the hebrews would stop using the
most common word in their writings.