[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Fri Jul 22 17:13:53 EDT 2005

Yeah! You're absolutely right. I'm just working from things I have
heard or read from past lecturers etc. and just taken it for granted
that these things are true. I would be very interested in hearing
the primary sources that touch on this matter. Another possibility is
that the hebrew spoken by the hebrews of the first century had been
affected by the exile 6 centuries before and for this reason bears
similarities to what we refer to as Aramaic. Personally, I have
always found it difficult to accept that Israel could so easily lose
touch with Hebrew when their whole religion, culture, laws etc. was
based on texts written in hebrew.
Another thing to take into account is that Yeshua and his crew were
from Galilee and were noted for their 'dialect'. Although, I've never
been sure if this is referring to their accent and pronunciation or
a country bumpkin version of hebrew and whether this explains the
words we view as aramaic.
One thing that does seem certain is that Greek was much stronger than
Latin despite the strong Roman control of the present world. As we see
that most of the Christian writings were in Greek and not Latin (including
Paul's epistle to the Romans).