[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Jul 22 15:59:51 EDT 2005

Dear Peter

>Well, there are several apparently Aramaic words recorded in
>transliteration in Mark's gospel, e.g. TALIQA in 5:41 and SABACQANI in
>15:34 (Q = theta, C = chi), and an apparently Hebrew one, ELWI = Elohi
>in 15:34 (W = omega). Translations into Greek are given for all of them,
>just as for "Abba". One interpretation is that Jesus was always speaking
>Aramaic. Another is that Jesus was normally speaking Hebrew which was
>translated into Greek, and the few Aramaic words preserved are preserved
>to show their distinctively Aramaic nature.

HH: Here is a note on the NAB Bible that also takes Mark 15:34 as
Aramaic in the quote from Psalm 22:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/mark/mark15.htm#foot14

Mark 15:34: And at three o'clock Jesus cried out in a loud voice,
"Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?" 14 which is translated, "My God, my
God, why have you forsaken me?"

14 [34] An Aramaic rendering of Psalm 22:2. See also the note on Matthew 27:46.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard