[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Jul 22 15:05:22 EDT 2005

Dear Jim,

>Read James C wrote:
>
>>  I think it is possible to find books which support just
>>  about every thought in the world conceivable. But it is clear
>>  from the ancient writings what their opinions were on these
>>  things, whether a person accepts them as authentic or not.
>>  Putting magic overtones on the declaration which was clearly
>>  directed to the El $aDai of the hebrew bible is ludicrous at
>>  best and can only be entertained by lovers of controversy.
>>

>That is certainly true.  Even the position which suggests that the red
>letter bible contains the very words, in king james english, that jesus
>spoke.  Further, that Acts has to say that christians (!) took their
>magical books and burned them means at least two things- 1) there were
>christians who HAD magic books and used them, and 2) they were led to a
>better understanding of prayer then they previously held (which means
>that previously they held that prayer and magic were interrelated).
>Acts itself proves my contention.

HH: My impression has always been that these were people brought to
faith by the spectacle of the demons jumping on the Jewish exorcists
(Acts 19:14-16). This news spread to everyone, bringing honor to
Christ's name and causing many to believe. So these were probably new
converts, and their magical books related to their lives before they
had faith in Christ:

Acts 19:17 And this became known to all the Jews and also the Greeks
living at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the
Lord Jesus was magnified.
Acts 19:18 And many who had believed came, and confessed, and
announced their practices.
Acts 19:19 And a considerable number of those practicing magic
brought their books together and burned them before everyone. And
they counted their value and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver.

Paul had come to a relatively unevangelized Ephesus. The only
disciples mentioned at first were twelve disciples of John the
Baptist.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard