[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Fri Jul 22 14:27:17 EDT 2005

I think it is possible to find books which support just
about every thought in the world conceivable. But it is clear
from the ancient writings what their opinions were on these
things, whether a person accepts them as authentic or not.
Putting magic overtones on the declaration which was clearly
directed to the El $aDai of the hebrew bible is ludicrous at
best and can only be entertained by lovers of controversy.

I can't remember my sources but I thought it was quite plain
that in this period Aramaic had firmly supplanted the Hebrew
language in everyday use. This is a change which commenced with
the exile of the Jehudans in Babylonia and in the days of Ye$ua
had already taken a firm root. The fact that the text remains
in Aramiac amongst Greek text is a matter of prose style and
effect. At such an emotional moment in the story the use of
direct quotation in the original language the words were spoken
gives the story a greater effect of realism because the reader
is taken to the scene exactly how it happened. It is clear (to
me) that this was the desired effect of the author and NOT to
promote magical practises which would contradict the entire efforts
of the composers of such material.